Today’s Scripture: And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. Romans 8:28
Have you ever met Murphy? He is always up to no good. He has a bunch of laws, such as:
- When you are in traffic and your lane is slower than the next lane, when you move into the fast lane it will immediately slow down.
- The shortest distance between two points is always under construction.
- A knife too dull to slice a cucumber will slice your finger.
- When you get a bad haircut, it takes years for that hair to grow back.
- When you take something to get repaired, you can never duplicate the problem in front of the technician.
A lot of life’s weird problems can be blamed on “Murphy’s Law”, but too often people want to blame God. We shouldn’t blame God, because God is love. There are so many Scriptures that point to God’s love and His language of love that has a lot of different aspects.
When we love someone, usually what we’re doing is telling them about our love for them, but we’re also doing something to express that love through an action. Love works: when you love, you work, and it works when you love.
How can we know that God has loved us? When we dwell in Him, He dwells in us. His love is an abiding love that we receive the moment we receive salvation. The Holy Spirit of God indwells us, and that indwelling Spirit is proof that we are safe and sealed until the day of redemption.
When Mr. Murphy and his laws start rearing their ugly head, trying to mess up your day, remember that you are safe and secure. God’s abiding love is there even when things get rough.
Devotional by Jim Scudder, Jr.