Then shall two be in the field; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Two women shall be grinding at the mill; the one shall be taken, and the other left. Watch therefore: for ye know not what hour your Lord doth come. But know this, that if the goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken up. Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not the Son of man cometh. Matthew 24:40–44
Can anyone be sure when Jesus is coming again? When Sir Isaac Newton was asked if he thought Christ would return in his lifetime, he said he did not believe it because all of the prophecies had not been fulfilled. Someone asked Charles Spurgeon if he believed Christ would return in his lifetime, and he said no. He believed there were still prophecies which had to be fulfilled. Since then, these prophecies have been fulfilled. Because of this, when someone came to me with this question, I told them Christ certainly could return in my lifetime. I do not know if He will, but I know He is coming — soon. Here are five reasons why I know this is true:
1. Travel – Modern transportation allows us to travel thousands of miles in a very short time. The Book of Daniel predicted this (Daniel 12:4).
2. Knowledge – The Book of Daniel also predicted the increase of knowledge we are seeing today with the Internet and technology. (Daniel 12:4)
3. The invention of the atomic bomb – In Zechariah 14:12, God prophesied He would bring a plague upon Israel’s enemies which exactly matches the effects of radiation from the atomic bomb. Now we see how this is possible.
4. The Jews’ return to the land of Israel – In Jeremiah 4:5, God said Israel would be gathered as a nation. This happened in 1948.
5. God’s support of Israel (Romans 11:1) – The Bible says God has not forsaken Israel. He has preserved this nation until now, and He will continue to do this until Jesus returns (Zechariah 12:8–10).
This is an exciting time to be a Christian. We might not know the day or the hour of Christ’s return, but we do know it is going to be soon. As Jesus told His disciples, we need to be watching for His return. We ought to make the most of every opportunity to tell others how they can be saved. We should be living pure and holy lives so we are not ashamed when Jesus comes.
Devotional by Dr. James A. Scudder